CBLS Board Certification in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law - Lawyers certified in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law with the State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization have demonstrated substantial involvement in this area of practice.
The CBLS defines the term "estate planning, trust and probate law" as the practice of law dealing with:
- "the creation, protection and disposition of a client's assets, during life and upon and after death, in accordance with the client's expressed desires;
- the tax and family relationship consequences of the client's acts and desires;
- the preparation of wills, trusts and other documents to carry out the client's desires;
- the administration of estates and trusts (such as necessary court or non-court procedures; tax reporting, payment of tax and tax audits; and management and transfer of assets); and
- the protection of the property and provision for the personal needs of individuals unable to handle their own affairs by reason of age, illness or other incapacity."